Grand Valley United Methodist Church
October 2020 Newsletter
Articles in this month’s newsletter:
- Inside worship and Covid Protocol
- Upcoming UMW meeting
- Church Directory information
- Reports from committees
- Notes and reminders
- Church humor
We are now meeting every Sunday morning here at GVUMC at 9:00. (Please note the new time!) As of October 4th, with the weather getting cooler, we have moved inside, and we will be practicing social distancing. The chairs are spread apart, and we can seat 40 people in the sanctuary. Overflow will be seated in the Fellowship Hall.
We have taken numerous precautions in preparation of our re-opening. The Trustees have installed touchless soap dispensers and paper towel dispensers in the bathrooms, and touchless hand sanitizers throughout the church. We ask that you continue wearing your mask when at the church.
This is our new inside worship protocol for Covid 19:
- Please wear a mask, use hand sanitizer, maintain social distancing
- Please enter through the front red doors and exit through the back office doors
- Ushers will check your name off on the member list for contact tracing
- Guest will need to complete an information card for follow up and contact tracing
- Greeters will welcome people at the door and ushers will show people to their seat
- The chairs are arranged in sets of two, an usher will add chairs to larger parties
- Pairs of chairs are arranged 6-feet apart, please leave chairs where they are placed
- At the end of worship, ushers will dismiss from the back of the church first working forward. Please wait until you are dismissed to help maintain social distancing.
- Bulletins and communion elements will be distributed by ushers wearing gloves
- We will say the words to songs, not sing them. No singing is allowed.
- Anyone not wearing a mask will be asked to worship outside using their mobile device
The next UMW meeting will be on Thursday, October 1st at 10:00.
Our program will be presented by Julie Olson from the Advocate Safe House.
Please wear a mask and take all the precautions necessary.
We hope you can join us!
We have been long overdue for a new church directory, and with all the changes that have occurred in the last few years, a new one has been put together!
These can be picked up in the office during regular office hours (W-F, 9-noon). Please, only one per household!!
10 – Mary Jane Wahlman
12 – Opal Morganthaler
13 – Jane Chapman
16 – Lee Wegner
17 – Stacey Atkins
18 – Betty Birdsill
19 – Michelle Foster
19 – Howie Orona
21 – Joe Cason
21 – Nancy Slocum
25 – Hope Perrine
Reports of Committees
UMW: UMW met on Thursday September 3, with the meeting being called to order by President, Michelle Foster. The program was given by Michelle Foster, discussing “How Do We Grow?” September minutes were approved. Committee reports were given. Hope is moving – she has a piano that needs a new home. If interested, please contact her or the church office. The next meeting will be on Thursday, October 1st – program given by Julie Olson sharing information about Advocate Safehouse. All are welcome!
Mission & Outreach: We are collecting the Box Tops for Education for our local elementary school. Each label is worth 10¢ and helps out with school supplies in a 5th grade class at Bea Underwood. We are also collecting travel sized (Hotel) toiletries for Lift Up. These items can be dropped off at the church Wednesday-Friday, 9-noon or on Sunday when you attend our service.
A note from the Mortons:
Dear Church Friends,
We enjoyed our 20 year stay with you and miss seeing you. We moved to Nebraska to be closer to our son Richard.
May the coming year be successful and fruitful.
Don & Carol Morton
5410 17th Ave Apt 249
Kearney NE 68845
Sometimes kids have such big questions that not just anyone can answer them. Boredpanda.com collected a few such queries from third graders….
DEAR GOD: How come you didn’t invent any new animals lately? We still have just all the old ones.
DEAR GOD: Is Reverend Coe a friend of yours, or do you just know him through business?
DEAR GOD: Who draws the lines around the countries?
DEAR GOD: How did you know you were God?
DEAR GOD: I bet it is very hard for you to love all of everybody in the whole world. There are only four people in our family, and I can never do it.
DEAR GOD: I think the stapler is one of your greatest inventions.
(Taken from Reader’s Digest, September 2020)
You think English is easy?
1) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
2) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
3) They were too close to the door to close it.
4) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
5) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
MORE NEXT MONTH….